West Hartford CT Community Notes


Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Kingswood Oxford alumna shines at Presidential Inauguration

West Hartford, Jan. 22 – It was bitter cold at 5:30am, when Kingswood Oxford's Hope Jackson, MD '99 got in line for the best-possible seat at President Barack Obama's inauguration – so she was glad she'd grabbed her favorite red fleece KO blanket on her way out the door.
"When I walked through the National Mall gates, I felt a little overwhelmed with emotion, as I realized that so many of the positive, wonderful opportunities I've had in my life were because of the amazing education, nurturing and support I received at KO," said Jackson, who earned her Bachelor's degree at Emory University and her medical degree at George Washington University. "It has been the catalyst to so many things, including even choosing to pursue medicine as a career -- which ultimately brought me to DC. So KO is always with me, and I was thinking especially about the school that day."
Jackson has two years left in a six-year surgical residency at GW, and then plans to pursue a fellowship in minimally invasive surgery, as well as continuing to work on enhancing the surgical education experience for medical students and residents.
"It was truly moving, electrifying and powerful to be (on the Mall) with almost a million people to celebrate a new term and recommit to continue to do our best to make our country better," she added. "The entire ceremony was wonderful, and I felt so blessed to be able to witness and be a part of such a historic moment in time."

Photo: Kingswood Oxford alumna Hope Jackson, MD '99 bundled up in a red fleece KO blanket during President Barack Obama's inauguration on Jan. 21, 2013. Submitted by KO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]